Thursday, September 22, 2011

3. Confessions of a First Daughter

Okay, so I finished reading Confessions of a First Daughter by Cassidy Calloway over the weekend, but haven't had time to write about it until today. I got this book about two years ago, I think. It was on sale and looked interesting. I'm definitely not the target audience, though - even when I first bought the book, I was probably pushing it. It's a more middle-grade read.

The book is about a girl named Morgan who is the daughter of the youngest and female president of the US. It's about how she deals with being in the public eye, having a boyfriend who pushes her boundaries, and her budding feelings for her Secret Service Agent. My main problem with this book is that even though Morgan is eighteen, I feel like she's more of a tween-type character. Her only age-appropriate problem is her boyfriend pressuring her to have sex. In addition, her voice throughout the book seems much younger than eighteen. Morgan and her mom look very similar and when her mom, the president, needs to get away to deal with some African politics, Morgan stands in for her. It's a cute premise, if totally unrealistic. My favorite character in the book is probably Hannah, Morgan's best friend. She just seems very fun and a much more relatable and realistic character than Morgan herself.

The book is a quick read. Like I said, I'm not the target audience, and I think that made me read through it faster. I liked that it featured the presidency and the White House - I'm kind of drawn to that type of book.

All in all, I'd give it a 3/5.

(Also, I really like the shoes on the cover. I don't think I could pull them off, but still.)


No comments:

Post a Comment